Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tai Chi

Sacred movement, sacred breath.
Whisper in the Wind.
Centered in your being. Balanced in body, mind and soul.
Peace and Harmony. Breathe in Chi. Breathe out clouds. Let the Sacred Breath carry Chi - your life force - throughout your body.
Sway with the wind. Glide with the birds. Slowly reach for the Stars. Let the soles of your feet feel centered and safe, rooted to Mother Earth.

Wind Rolling the Lotus Leaves, gently ruffling my hair as I yield to its softness. I am standing under a Plum Tree practicing Tai Chi when a Tiger jumps out to Embrace me. Centered in my being I gently smile and watch as he Returns to his Mountain.

As the Wind Sweeps the Plum Blossoms all over my head, I can't help but breathe in their sweet fragrance. Sacred breath, calm relaxing, peaceful. I breathe in sacred Chi. Chi, life force to nourish my being. In the distance I glimpse a magnificent White Crane Spreading its Wings in preparation for flight. A feeling of joy spreads throughout my body, watching this display of total freedom and joie-de-vivre.

A curious monkey pokes its head through the tree branches to stare at me upside down. Rooted in the soft Earth, balanced in body, mind and spirit, I gently and slowly Repulse this cheeky little Monkey.

The sun is setting signalling the end of a perfect day. Birds fly into the Forest on their way home. Hearing a throaty roar, I swiftly turn around in fright, only to find a friendly Lion Shaking Its Head. He too is preparing to go back to his lair for the night.

Before I start my trek back home, I give thanks to the Tree that offered me shade, the Earth for supporting me, the Air so I may breathe, the Sun for its warmth and love and the River lazily snaking its way through the Magic Forest.

That night asleep under the Stars, I dream of Wild Horses Leaping the Ravine in fear, as Snakes Creep Down to Stick out their Tongues. A large White Tiger Hugged his Head with Laughter - nervous horses afraid of snakes! How silly - don't they know you can't outrun Eternal Change?

I wrote this about 10 years ago when I first began studying Tai Chi. I was drawn to the energetic component of the Tai Chi form. Not a dance, nor an exercise, Tai Chi is like a meditation in motion.

Creating a story from the moves, helped me to incorporate the philosophy of this ancient practice into my energy field.

Snake Creeps Down, Repulse Monkey, Lion Shakes Its Head, Wild Horse Leaps the Ravine, are just some of many, many Tai Chi moves. I have capitalized the names within my story for those unfamiliar with Tai Chi.

15 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh so lovely! You made me want to join in. Do you still practice it? I love the part about thanking the earth and the sun and tree. It's really a lifestyle, yes? **blows kisses** Deborah

Wendy said...

Oh yes, I do! I thought I had posted it in my last post, but that was in my other blog (caregiving is not for wimps. So this was supposed to be a follow-up post. Oops.

When I was on holiday in Florida, every morning I did tai chi on the beach. It was awesome!

Grammy said...

That was a wonderful story. I took some lessons, and have a video on tie chi. But I should try to get back to learning it too. It could be the answer to getting hubby to move around again.

Naturegirl said...

I tried this and became frustrated as I could not move and think of the postions at the same time..some of the names!!I did likethe idea of being centered and rooted to the Earth!

Wendy said...

Hi Grammy I hope you do get back into it. My hubby and I used to to qi gong for a bit. He was not interested in the tai chi, but qi gong was easier for him.

Hi Naturegirl, Oh, that's too bad. It is frustrating in the beginning. The names actually help you to visualize how you should look, striking each pose. If you relax into the positions and not try to get them perfectly, it will flow...

KeKe said...

Sounds like something I need in my life~

Renee said...

I totally don't know tai chi, but I know that this was beautiful.

xoxo

Cloudhands said...

Wendy,
What a joy and delight to meet you. I want to try my hand at your Tai Chi story telling with one of the forms I do. If that's alright with you. I loved your story and have a sense of what it might look like in my imagination. When I do my form I always end with 'Carry Tiger' and from now on I will carry one more for you. We carry tigers when we wish to lighten someone else's load. It is a prayer and an intention.
I am doing Gi Gung these days. The movement of Chi fills me and refreshes my spirit. "In movement like a river, in stillness like a mountain.

Wendy said...

Thank you keke. If you give it a try, it will be worth it. Mind you, I only began tai chi after my children had moved out.

Hi Rene, if you like moving, rather than holding a pose (be it yoga or pilates (yeah right!), or qi gong, then tai chi is for you. It's calm, quiet, and yet it takes strength to stand on one leg and kick (as an example).

Hi Cloudhands, I would be delighted if you would write a story using tai chi. Isn't this fun?? Thanks for stopping by and sharing your interpretation of tai chi with me.

Beth Niquette said...

Lovely words, wonderful imagination.

Q said...

Dear Wendy,
This is beautiful. I took Tai Chi years ago. Now I practice yoga.
I love the way you made a story to remember your moves.
Namaste,
Sherry

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Excellent writing. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I have just joined. Tai Chi as you describe it makes me want to visit your blog more often.
It is such a Tale.
Be well.
Godeliva from Ariadone

Miss Sandra said...

Dear Wendy,
I always enjoy your writing and your topics. Never tried Tai Chi, but I love the whole concept of one being in tune with nature.
By the way, thank you for stopping by Harmonie House. Always lovely to have you visit.
Have a beautiful evening!
Sandra

Deborah said...

Hi Wendy! I have been wondering where you have been...I think of you often. We are still having gray skies, but my heart sends you a big BLUE desert sky. Oh, and rainbows. **blows kisses** Deborah